If you love math, enjoy writing, read books to expand your world or use a computer with ease, volunteering with OLL may be for you! Share your knowledge and passion for learning in a meaningful way by encouraging, motiving and supporting others while they work to improve their own literacy skills.
Volunteer opportunities exist within our Adult or Family Literacy Programs, Special Events or Promotions Committee.
Complete our Volunteer Application Form below if you are interested. Our office will contact you to arrange an interview to determine what volunteer opportunity is available!
"I would absolutely recommend OLL as a place to come for anyone looking for help with their literacy skills. All the volunteers are great. The staff are wonderful and they really are concerned about the people they help"
"We're really happy to see those reports from parents that children are more confident and engaged with their learning. The fact that it's a fun kind of program and gives them a chance to work on their skills in a fun way is really important to us"
"Everybody's time is so valuable that works here, that we rely on and appreciate our volunteers so much, because volunteers really do help keep things on track, and they mean so much to our agency"
"We are the first step that they need to take to help reach their goal. Whether their goal is upgrading skills for employment, independence, secondary school credits or college, we are the organization that can help with that!"
“Since going to a literacy program, it is much easier to cope with life and I don’t know how I survived with the education that I had. I can figure things out for myself and I don’t have to ask so many questions any more.”
"Thanks to my new found skills and self-esteem, I feel more capable to go out and find a great job that I am worthy of"
Sarnia Library Theatre
+ Event Details
We are ecstatic to announce Showcase Literacy 2019 featuring best-selling author of Room and The Wonder, Emma Donoghue. Emma will be speaking about and signing her latest book, Akin on Tuesday, September 24 at 7 p.m. at the Sarnia Library Theatre. All proceeds from tickets sold this evening will benefit Organization For Literacy in Lambton. Akin is set for release on September 3, 2019.
Tickets are $50 and include a copy of the book or $60 for 2 tickets and 1 book.
Sarnia Library Theatre
- Assist individuals as they work towards their individual goal paths;
- Share your knowledge and experience by instructing and supporting a learner as they complete the required lessons and milestones of their intended goal;
- Instruct learners in the areas of reading, writing, math and digital technology;
- Work one-on-one or with a group of learners;
- Document the learners daily progress;
- Provide non-judgmental support regardless of your opinion of the learners personal or developmental decisions;
- Create opportunities within the classroom to encourage learners to socialize and apply or develop their conversation skills; (resources and materials are available to help!)